Prep Time: 15 minutessTotal Time: 120 minutes.
(c = cup)
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp coarse salt
8 Large Russet Baking Potatoes
1/2 c whole milk
1/2 c grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 c sour cream
3 tbsp chopped chives
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Cut 6 squares of foil large enough to wrap each potato.
- Pierce potatoes on all sides with a fork & place each on a piece of foil.
- Drizzle potatoes evenly with oil, sprinkle with the coarse salt & wrap in foil.
- Place on rack in middle of oven & bake until very tender, about 60 mins.
- Preheat milk with butter over moderate heat in a small saucepan just until hot (do not boil).
- Carefully remove potatoes from foil & let cool slightly, about 10 mins.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise & scoop out into a bowl, reserving skins of 8 halves with a 1/4-inch border of potato around skin.
- Mash potatoes with milk mixture up to almost smooth.
- Stir in sour cream, chopped chives, & 1/4 c cheese; pepper & salt to taste.
- Mound mixture into reserved potato skins & sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c cheese.
- Bake in upper third of oven until golden brown, about 30 mins. Garnish with snipped chives.
- Makes 8 servings