1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup Granulated sugar
1 large Egg
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
1 large Egg yolk
2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 package (12 oz) Semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place oven rack in lower-middle position and heat oven to 350° F.
- Spread nuts on rimmed baking sheet and bake until deep golden brown, 10 up to 15 mins.
- Transfer nuts to cutting board to cool; chop coarsely & set aside.
- Toast coconut on same rimmed baking sheet, stirring 2 until 3 times, up to light golden, about 5 until 7 minutes; set aside. (Keep a close eye on the coconut when toasting as it can burn quickly.) Lower oven temperature to 325° F.
- Lightly butter a 13- by 9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- If the pan is glass or Pyrex, turn the oven heat down to 300° F.
- Whisk flour, baking soda & salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk brown , melted butter & granulated sugars together until combined.
- Add egg yolk, egg, & vanilla & stir well.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in chips, coconut, & nuts, if desired, & turn batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with spatula.
- Bake until top is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, about 25 up to 30 mins.
- Cool to room temperature on wire rack, 60 up to 120 mins.
Transfer to cutting board, cut into bars & serve.