1. 1 tsp Baking soda1 tsp Salt
2. 1 1/4 c walnuts or pecans
3. 1 tsp Vanilla extract
4. 1/2 c unsalted butter
5. 1 1/4 c Sugar
6. 2 1/2 c All-purpose flour
7. 2 large Eggs
8. 1 1/2 c bananas
9. 1/2 c Buttermilk
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position (so that top of pan will be in center of oven) & preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease bottom only of regular loaf pan, or grease & flour bottom & sides of nonstick 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- If using, spread nuts on rimmed baking sheet & bake until fragrant & deep golden brown, 5 to 10 mins.
- Transfer nuts to cutting board to cool; chop coarsely & set aside.
- Whisk the nuts, salt, baking soda, and flour together in a big bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the sugar & butter on medium speed up to light & fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the bananas and beat until smooth.
- Add the vanilla & buttermilk & beat just until combined.
- Pour banana mixture onto dry ingredients and gently fold until just incorporated.
- The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan & smooth the top.
- It should be no more than two-thirds full.
- Bake up to the loaf is golden brown, the edges pull away from the sides of the pan & a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 60 mins and 15 mins.
- Rotate the pan periodically to ensure even browning.
- Let the bread rest in the pan for 5 mins, then turn the loaf out onto a wire rack & let cool completely.
- Cut into thick slices to serve.
- Makes one 9-by-5-inch loaf.
- Cooks Notes:
If using a glass 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan, bake at 325° F for about 90 mins . To make mini muffins, bake for about 18 to 20 mins.